Sunday, July 19, 2020

P.J. Proby - Discography

P.J. Proby - Discography


Born and mostly raised in Texas, rock & roller P.J. Proby never really hit it big in his homeland, but his trouser-busting stage antics helped make him a genuine pop star in England at the height of the British Invasion. Proby was born James Marcus Smith in Houston on November 6, 1938, and grew up listening to country and black gospel; later on, he became fascinated by rockabilly, and his stepsister even dated the young Elvis Presley. After graduating from military school in 1957, he moved to Hollywood hoping to make it in the music business. Through his boyhood friend, teen-idol singer Tommy Sands, Smith made some connections that included songwriter Sharon Sheeley (who was dating Eddie Cochran and had written "Poor Little Fool" for Rick Nelson), and he soon began recording singles under the name Jett Powers, with little success. In the meantime, he worked as a demo singer and also did a bit of acting, appearing in several Westerns and an episode of Gunsmoke.























10 comments:

johneunson said...

I cant't get the Proby links to work. What an/m I doing wrong?

rosbeliobones9223@gmail,com said...

Links não funcionam ??

rosbeliobones9223@gmail,com said...

Tem que pagar,fazer o que ???

Ozzieguy said...

I shall be removing them from 1F and placing with Mega.

rosbeliobones9223@gmail,com said...

Muito Muito obrigado, Deus te Abençoe !!!

Ozzieguy said...

Very welcome rosbeliobones.

Dusty said...

PJ PROBY - 1968 LP - What's wrong with my World

https://mega.nz/file/VZYX1QpR#udkrn0obbRQrfl015APs_SF2R0cEUZUTpVrllhglUlU

PJ PROBY - 1967 - LP US-LIBERTY 7515 - Phenomenon

mega.nz/file/FR4x1KaB#COH4CKx1jAzwov55Lpthhjb9yjMR0hJr7qw1WpELrNI

Ozzieguy said...

Hi Dusty,
Many thanks yet again my friend.
Best Wishes
Ozzieguy

Yorkie said...

Many thanks for this and your website - incredible. I've spent £1000s over 40 years on recordings and its now about history for me and the pleasure of finding these old recordings.

I met Jim in Halifax about 14 years ago when he was running a 60s show - he was the only original, the others including tributes to Roy Orbison and Gene Pitney. It was a great night, not least because I re-united my dad with Jim - an amateur promotor and concert secretary for Northern clubs who championed him throughout the 60 through 80s and during various ups and downs in Jim's life and career, my dad never wavered in that support.

Jim was lovely on the night and my dad saw him once or twice again before he passed, sadly not with me as I had moved to Guernsey to work. Lovely memories though.

Keep up this great work. Best wishes from Yorkshire

Ozzieguy said...

Thank you Yorkie for this lovely post.
Best Wishes
Ozzieguy